Through Wisdom For Asia’s Back To School Outreach, hundreds of children in India are still attending school. Through this outreach we provide the necessary school supplies for the children to continue to attend school.
The Statistics About Children In India
- It is estimated India has over 440 million children.
- Over 120 million of those children live in poverty.
- 5.3 million children between 5 and 18 are trapped in the sex industry.
- 50% of Indian children aged 6-18 do not go to school.
- Only 1/3 of all children who enroll in first grade reach the eighth grade.
- In nearly 60% of the schools, there are less than two teachers to teach grades 1 through 5.
- 50% of girls are likely to drop out of school by the age of 12. The other 50% fail to enroll at all.
Why are so many children forced to work instead of being allowed to receive an education?
- To help their families. Millions of children work to help their families because the adults do not have adequate employment or income. Children are forced to forfeit their childhood in order to eat. They do not have enough money to buy food, much less the school supplies and textbooks required to go to school.
- No access to quality schools. Millions of children live in remote, rural villages or in slums. Most do not have quality schools in their area. They are surrounded by adults who are illiterate themselves and have no hope or vision for a better life.
- Deceived and abused. Poor and bonded families often “sell” their children to contractors who promise lucrative job opportunities in the cities. Instead, the children end up laboring in hotels, domestic work, and brothels. Those who are able to escape simply run away to find a life on the streets.
There is an adage that says, “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” The children of India need both. Without an education or the opportunities an education provides, the cycle of poverty will never be broken. Without an initial investment and inspiration, education will never be possible.
HELP US SEND 1000 CHILDREN IN INDIA BACK TO SCHOOL THIS SCHOOL YEAR
Every school year, we would like to provide school supplies to a minimum of 1,000 children who would like to continue their education but cannot afford to buy the required supplies for school. With only $15 we can buy all they need to complete an entire year of school. This $15 will interrupt the poverty cycle and give children a second chance to receive a life-changing education.
You can sponsor online now by selecting one of the options below. The links below will connect you to our secure and easy to use giving site. Give now…make a difference!!Sponsor 2 Children Sponsor 4 Children Sponsor 8 Children Sponsor 10 Children
Please Note: If you would like to give a specific amount that is not listed here you can change the amount as you process your donation on our secure giving site.